Monday, July 7, 2008

New Game Plan for Job Search

I had my interview with the recruiters at F5 Networks today. They were very classy and professional people. I loved the building that F5 is in and the few folks that I met, I thought were great! (that's the Chineese symbol for Wisdom).  I gained a lot today about how to find a job.

So, my plan is to not apply for every job that becomes available at F5, rather continue to look daily for new postings that might appear that are geared toward my qualifications. In the meantime, (and I believe F5 is worth the wait), I am going to focus on studying and passing the PMP exam. I have a really good book that I am using for a study guide now, it's http://www.headfirstlabs.com/books/hfpmp/ and so far, only in about 100 pages, I really like the format. I might also try the Cheetah crash course, but that's $2K that I would have to spend out of own pocket.

I learned another valuable lesson today about applying for jobs and that is, don't apply for too many jobs across too wide of an area - it just means your fishing for anything and the recruiters don't like to see that. It weakens your position and it's so true - I was guilty of trying that approach and learned form some constructive criticism, it's not the best way to get a job with a company you REALLY want to work at. Also, don't bombard the recruiters either with emails asking for "anything new that fits my qualifications" or "keep me posted" as those things only weaken your position as well.

All in all, I am excited about trying to land a job at F5 Networks in the hopefully near future as I continue to study for my PMP exam and pass it!

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment