Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Helping others-It's the right thing to do!

I am so thankful to be able to give something back to others. Being the recipient of a "second chance" at life, I am blessed to be able to help others. I feel it's my way of being able to give something back as GOD chose to show favor on me. Today, I received a call from a young man that is presently trying to determine what he should do about his "enlarged" aortic root and the fact that he's got a bicuspid value issue as well. (Def) A bicuspid valve is also known as the mitral valve or semi-lunar valve with only two cusps (instead of three); situated between the left atrium and left ventricle. It ensures the unidirectional flow of blood from the left atrium to the left ventricle.

In writing this "post" I discovered a person's website that is completely devoted to this type of heart valve replacement surgery. His name is Adam Pick.  It appears that he's had a valve replacement surgery as well.   Ok.. back to my topic of "helping others" and my original point of this post. My friend is really feeling like he's living with a "time-bomb" inside his chest and that's the last thing you want to be worrying about. In this day in age, we have numerous highly competent surgeons that do this type of valve replacement surgery. Often times, the valve can be saved and other times, a mechanical type  of valve will be the only option.  The main point that I can provide to this person is "resources" and a listening ear. That's what people need to know is that there's hope for them and that there's been others before them that have had to go through very similar situations. And.. guess what? They made it through and so can you!

I have spoken to hundreds of aortic dissection patients and have been so "overjoyed" to have been able to help them in some shape or form that's what makes my day!

All the best!

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment