Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Networking 101- Who are the contacts that you have made?

It's been over 2 months since my official departure date from Verizonbusiness. After working at the same place for nearly 20 years, you don't really think that much about YOU possibly being laid off. And, how many "networking relationships/contacts" that you have built up during those years.

What I first did was get a Google Gmail account and to start and build a list of all my "networking" contacts that might be able to help me. Granted, these are folks that I consider friends and not just people that I would try and contact to say, "hey.. I need a job" and please help!  I think that networking is going back into your memory bank and remembering those "key" contacts that you have or have not stayed in touch with and figure out if they might be willing to help you. It's these type of contacts that I consider folks that are genuinely concerned about trying to help you. It's amazing how many contacts that you might have that when push comes to shove, they aren't really a big help at all. It's like a chess game trying to figure out what/where/when and why you are going to contact someone that might be able to help.

I have tried to contact many of my so called "networking friends" and have had some luck - however, still no job yet. That old say, "It's not what you know... It's who you know" is still true to this day. I have tried to rely on that and for some strange reason do feel confident that I will be landing a job before the end of this month.   I am thinking that T-Mobile looks promising and I left two messages for the recruiter at Verathon today as well. That was voted as one of the top places to work in WA State.

Oh yah.. the painting continues - all windows/doors are taped shut and it's muggy in the house! I hope I can sleep tonight as I like to have the windows open and fan running.  However, my wife doesn't like the fan going and usually shuts it off as I am already a sleep. My bedtime is usually around 9pm and get up at 0445 to 0500.

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment