Thursday, July 3, 2008

My Fear of Flying-

I have struggled with FOF for almost 15 years and have let it literally prevent me from moving forward in my career. And now being laid off, trying to search for new jobs has been very stressful. When I search the Job Postings, I first look for "Travel Required?" and if so, I move on.

I finally contacted Captain Ron Neilsen and ordered his program along with my own personal battle of what it is that is really holding me back?  Is it a fear of death? Is it a fear of plunging 30,000 feet to my death and that I can't fathom the 30 seconds of horror that I would experience? Wait a minute! I am a Christian! I have already survived being literally dead (except my brain) for 45 minutes while they cut out part of my aorta. Perhaps the real question is" Are you really actually afraid to die" and not necessarily afraid to fly?

As a Christian, this is a viciuos circle that I got around in my mind every day. It's really a matter of FAITH and the entire Christian religion is based on FAITH. I TRULY believe that Jesus Christ is my LORD AND SAVIOR. Yet, why do I literally say to GOD, "GOD, you are not big enough" to handle my fear of flying/dying and I am trying to rely on my "self" still to figure this out. Well, Brian.. it's not working nor will it EVER work.

At 45 years of age, this major impasse of losing my job and now trying to find a new one is really shedding some light on my life and just who/what/where/why I am here.

I like John MacArthur at Grace To You (gtw.org) and I just found a great article:

Face Tomorrow Hopefully

At times you can lose focus on your security after death and tremble over tomorrow. God, in His fatherly compassion for our child-like weaknesses, has given us biblical instruction on how to deal with that kind of worry and anxiety. Matthew 6:25-34 contains tailor-made instruction for peace and contentment. In that passage, Jesus gives us three reasons for not worrying about this life: Worry is unnecessary because of our Father, uncharacteristic because of our faith, and unwise because of our future.

Unnecessary Because of Our Father. For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they (vv. 25-26)?

Uncharacteristic Because of Our Faith. And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith (vv. 27-30)!

Unwise Because of Our Future. Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (vv.31-34)


Face Today Actively  

 

Just as Matthew 6 is Jesus’ great statement on worry, Philippians 4 is the apostle Paul’s charter on how to avoid anxiety. The teaching is clear, compelling, and direct. In Philippians 4:6–9, Paul says not to worry, but he doesn’t leave you there. He helps you fill the vacuum by directing you toward positive steps: right praying, right thinking, and right action.

Right Praying. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus (vv. 6-7).

Right Thinking. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things (v. 8).

Right Living. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things; and the God of peace shall be with you (v. 9).

Reflect on God’s truth expressed in those verses, meditate on the Bible—especially the Psalms—and you will find your heart settled by a kind of peace that abides no matter what circumstances or uncertainties come your way.

** I WILL get over this FEAR issue and it will be by FAITH in GOD and that there's nothing I can't do. As Paul says, "I can do ALL things through CHRIST who strengthens me" Phil 10:13.

Best!

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment