Saturday, July 26, 2008

The day after my Venus Closure Procedure

It's Saturday am about 0800 and I would usually be at the tennis club playing my 0700-0830am doubles which I have been playing for the last 10+ years!  However, I decided to move forward with my venus closure procedure. My legs are doing pretty good, I am wishing that I didn't have to wear the ace bandages, the stockings are OK, it's just that these bandages, one on my left leg and one on my right thigh and calf are kind of tight! Oh well, I will be glad in the long run that I finally got the courage to do this and can walk into Starbucks without thinking everyone is looking at my legs. My left leg was the worst of the two.

I was searching Google this morning and came across what I consider one (if not the most) comprehenisve articles on what exactly is an "aortic dissection" and I believe everyone should read  this.



This picture shows a daron tube being sewn into the arotic wall. There's also some glue that they use as well. Thanks again to Dr. Debakey! I still to this day (almost 5 years later) can not believe that I was able to survive. Especially against all the odds of having an ascending aortic dissection to begin with. You LITERALLY have to have GOD on your side and the amount of resources that have to come together to pull this surgery off - it's a monumental effort. In fact, I was reading today, that some surgeon's (in particular areas) are having a blood shortage (donors) and according to the article have to sometimes contemplate if they can do a surgery based on the amount of blood that will be required for the surgery. I have no idea how much blood it took for my operation, but I imagine a ton. You never stop and really think of those nice people that donate their blood - it's such a blessing for that critical piece of the surgery!

Here's some very interesting statistics:
Aortic dissection is the most frequently diagnosed lethal condition of the aorta and occurs nearly three times as frequently as does rupture of abdominal aortic aneurysm in the United States.
Hypertension is the mechanical force most often associated with dissection and is found in greater than 75% of cases
As many as 40% of patients suffering acute aortic dissection die immediately
As many as 30% of patients ultimately diagnosed with acute dissection are first thought to have another diagnosis.
Fifty percent of patients suffering acute type A aortic dissection are dead within 48 hours.16 A conventional wisdom has evolved that acute type A dissection carries a "1% per hour" mortality. Newer data, however, reveal a different prognosis such that medical management may be considered in certain high-risk groups. In one such study, type A dissection was managed medically in 28% of patients for various reasons with a 58% in-hospital mortality.17 Regardless, this relatively high mortality demonstrates that patients surviving acute type A dissection must be quickly and aggressively diagnosed and managed

As you can see... I am a very lucky and thankful person to have been given a second chance at life. Not all of us will get that second chance at life - make sure your doing the things now that you might probably would be doing if you had to do it all over again. Don't rely on a second chance - you might not get it. Be thankful for each day, each breath, each moment - give thanks!
Brian

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my site today - I am curious as to how you found it so quickly after I wrote it. The family has been advised to have all the males checked - both sides of the family. They didn't mention the women.

    I'm thankful that your life was saved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently have had emergency valve replacement surgery and an ascending aortic aneurism repaired. I am only 40 and this was most certainly a wake up call for me to start living life to the fullest. I always knew life was short but did not realize how short it could be. I am very thankful and greatful to have been given this second chance at life, and if it weren't for God, my family and friends, I would not be here today!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a story. May god always bless you. I have just started the Venus closure processs. Did not like the ace bandages either. I have been on a long journey of getting healthy. I have just got the nerve to do the venus closure. This was the last on my list. Heart disease is attacking my family quickly. I havequit smoking, lost a ton of weight (the good old fashion way...bust the body and watche what you eat). My second chance at life is not quite the same story as yours but I have a true understanding of how you must feel to have a second chance. I feel in some ways I have mine. Except for the legs...all other physicals are smooth sailing (no meds). What a blessing. Though, I wonder if there is link the legs to the heart? If a problem with one is a calling card to the other? From one blessed person to another blessed person. Always have a wonderful life and appreciate every moment, and LIVE every moment to it's fullest. Thanks for sharing your story.
    katbgood2

    ReplyDelete