Sunday, November 15, 2009

The joys of Lexapro-Trying to get off this stuff

Well,

I am trying to get off the drug called Lexapro . I was originally prescribed it at Stanford when I went there for my claudication symptoms in my legs. After going to Standford and determining that my symptoms for my ache calves would go away, they decided that I was just a little depressed. Actually, I had never been depressed to my knowledge ever..... However, a majority of the patients who have open heart surgery, not to mention aortic dissection surgery, do have some issues with depression if they are lucky enough to make it out of the surgery.

That was back in early 2004 when I was first prescribed Lexapro. I think I started out at 10mgs a day and then soon over the years migrated up to 20 mgs. About 6 months ago, I had not been the best at taking all my Blood Pressure medications daily. After meeting with my cardiologist, Dr. Alex Sytman, he said that I would have to go on more BP meds if I didn't get my BP down. I was on average taking my medications about every 4 days. So, in order to have to take more meds, I started taking them religiously. My blood pressure has gone down and the side effects are absolutely no desire for any sexual activity. Period. Zero, Ziltch, Nada.

So, I spoke to Dr. Liang and he mentioned that I could get off the drug , but it would take a while. He said around 6 months. I met with my general physician, Dr. Steve Stukovsky on the 13th of November and he gave me a slightly more aggressive plan (around 3 months) to try. I started already and I am on my 3rd day with taking 15 mgs a day versus 20. I will keep you posted on my progress. It's also a very expensive drug to take because there's really no "generic" for it due to it's patent on the drug. However, I believe that ends within a few years. Regardless, I am wanting to just get off it completely and try to get back to feeling normal. It's also caused me to gain about 10 lbs back too! I have made a commitment to try and get back down to under 200 lbs. I am right now at 215.

Have a great day......
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment