Friday, August 22, 2008

August 22nd, 2008 - My 5 year birthday since Aortic Dissection

Well, today is my 5 year anniversary or birthday since my aortic dissection back on 8/22/2008. I remember it as if it were just yesterday. I had started out the day still trying to negotiate this "semi-wrecked" motorcycle and how much I was going to pay for this site unseen bike from my customer who happened to work at Microsoft. Then, I was also trying to line up a truck to pick it up with as well. I had planned to use my other friend at Microsoft (my former customer) truck. On top of that, I was also going to play tennis that next morning at 0700am as well. I was also playing tennis on 8/22/2003 (Friday - most AD's happen on a this day!) at 4:00pm with my usual buddy Jack. In the meantime, I had went to get some teriyaki lunch (high in sodium) and I know my blood pressure was high as this motorcycle negotiation was consuming my day. Not to mention, I was late for my 4pm tennis match and realized I had forgot my shoes, so I had to return home and grab them and hustle back. I stepped out on the court, played about 2 games and "wham"  that's when my life changed forever. That's when you realize that you are not immortal and that the GOOD LORD has a plan for your life and can take you out when he's ready for you.  I remember that GOD had to be looking over me as my survival was a miracle. My first miracle was that I did not take my partner's advice and have him drive me to the ER department at 5pm on a Friday afternoon in rush hour traffic. Not to mention, in and AD situation like mine, (Type A), you don't have time on your side. Had I gone that route, I could have been held up in the ER check in process and waiting in the lobby for all I know. Furthermore, when you ride with the paramedics, they get you through traffic quicker and get you right into a room - at least that's what happened to me. My second major miracle I would find out 3 years later was that in this same ER department, and the same ER doctor would see a man 54 years of age come through with similar symptoms exactly 40 days before I arrived there and get "miss-diagnosed" for an anxiety attack and essentially die in the ER room from an Type A aortic dissection. They (ER Department) flat out missed the diagnosis. Did they have that heavy on their minds when I arrived? I  was 40 years old and in pretty darn good shape and healthy. I heard the 54 year old man was in good shape as well. What I would later find out is that apparently the last thing that they did was a blood test (possibly a d-dimer) that came back high for a pulmonary imbolism and that's when I remember being shot down this tube -completely inside it and they were taking pictures of my heart. I just wanted out of there! Next thing, a tall man, my surgeon, Dr. James Brevig would be telling me that I had a 50/50 chance of living due to my aortic dissection and needed surgery right away.

This day is very special to me as it reminds me just how lucky and thankful I am to be alive. It's been 5 years today and that in and of itself is another major hurdle.  No matter how things might look, and in my case, being laid off on 5/2/2008 - just 6 days short of 20 years, nothing is too bad that can not be overcome with the "FAITH IN GOD" that he's got you in the palm of his right hand and is your savior. I am absolutely living proof that miracles DO happen.

Speaking of miracles.. I am also about (I believe) to land a new job, I just have one more interview to do next Wednesday and I should get it. How I found out about the opportunity was a fluke, but it turned out to be GOD'S way of using his power to find me the job that he wants me in.

Have a great day! Remember.. you have a lot to be thankful for! Don't forget it!

Brian

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday and God Bless and keep you safe in his care. I have been reading aorticdissection website since Jan 9th, 2008. My mom has a dissection my space is dedicated to her. She is alive today because God is healing her body. Keep your faith in God nothing is impossible for him

    ReplyDelete